After 3 rainy days, and one more in the forecast, Arizona is finally feeling like Fall. I will say, I try not to leave the house when it is raining. Would rather stay at home, curled up on the couch with a fresh cup of coffee and a good book. If you have any favorites, let me know in the comments. Always looking for something new.
My kids asked me the other day when the last time we had chicken noodle soup was. And I could not remember. Guess this was the best time to change that. I will say this recipe is more of a vegetable noodle soup with chicken. It’s one way I can include more veggies in my kids day without too much fighting from them.
Enough chit-chat. You are here for the recipe. I hope you enjoy and share with friends.
- 2 tbsp.extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pkg.)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Juice of 1/4 lemon (optional)
- 2 tbsp.
- freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté setting. Heat oil, brown chicken, 3 minutes per side. Remove to plate. Then add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly tender and onions are translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, rosemary, sage, and oregano, cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add bay leaves if using, then add chicken thighs and season generously with salt and pepper. Add broth and close lid, make sure pressure valve is sealed. Set Instant Pot to Soup setting and set timer for 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, the quick release. Carefully remove lid and use tongs to remove chicken thighs onto a plate or cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken, then return chicken to pot. Remove bay leaves and add egg noodles and zucchini. Return Instant Pot to Sauté setting and cook, uncovered, until noodles are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off Instant Pot and stir in pepper flakes and lemon juice if using. Ladle into bowls and top with parsley and more black pepper before serving.
This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker. Add all ingredients except the noodles and zucchini to the pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours. The last 10 minutes add the egg noodles and zucchini.